SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pilothouse--Are Builders Missing Market?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002

schnitz is on a distinguished road
Pilothouse--Are Builders Missing Market?

I have a CT35 Pilothouse and can make some observations about my boat relative to Jeff H''s comments. I do not think that the pilothouse version of the CT35 has a higher center of gravity than the standard CT35. The engine in the PH version is located much further back in the boat and over the deepest part of the bilge, and is therefore considerably lower in the boat. The pilot house roof appears to be less than a foot higher than the doghouse version and the section of the deck in front of the pilothouse is flush deck, where the regular version has the doghouse extending well forward. Added up, this version may be more stable.

I have no problem seeing over the top of the pilothouse when seated at the outside steering station. My main boom is set quite low. If a soft dodger on a typical doghouse had a boom this close to the deck, the boom wouldn''t clear the dodger.

If you like to reading about storms at sea, think how many of the people lost overboard, such as in the Sidney to Hobart race, would still be alive if they had had inside steering in a good pilothouse. When the weather gets bad enough to produce knockdowns, you''ll find me inside the boat, not in the cockpit.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook