SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014

redfishnc is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

I usually sit back and enjoy reading the wealth of knowledge and free 'training' that is posted here. The issue of surveyors is a hot button for me and I will try to keep this short. Beautiful Catalina 30, great condition. Read everything I could on their issues. Spent 11 hours on boat inspecting everything and taking digital pictures before survey. Surveyor shows up day early to inspect. Sends survey. Boat is in great shape except wrong boat name throughout survey. (surveyor recommended through broker). I sent him 8 pages of minor or significant comments. He, ahem, must have missed them. Meet at boat. Rudder weeping water - survey says, "no problem'. I questioned, he assured. My error for trusting, cost 3 mo. later, $2200. Tab aft of nav table separated, no problem, survey says, 'no problem'. Cost to repair $450. My point is to do your homework and do not pay for crappy survey. If you are not knowledgeable then find a friend or pay someone qualified to be there at survey while YOU ARE THERE. Next boat Compac 27, surveyor recommended by long time dealer. Surveyor comments were nothing major and BOATUS said to fix them within reasonable amount of time. Last comment from surveyor, "I have never done a sailboat so most of the sailboat stuff I just looked to see if it was ok. I specialize in sportfisherman". I take my responsibility again. Get references from 3 or more people about their experience. My next survey is soon and believe me there will be a lot of questions. Something is not up to code, show me the code reference. Have a question you are not sure of. Have third party inspect. Surveyor does crappy job and you have list of items like I did with Catalina, don't pay. I would gladly take my pages of comments with annotated pictures to a courtroom and plead my case. The fancy name on the side of their truck means NOTHING. Ask him questions. Ask more questions. As a new owner you are the only one with money invested and YOU should do your part. Unfortunately I was not fortunate enough to have one at either survey. It is not that difficult to become a "surveyor". It is not easy to be a good surveyor. My apologies to all the great surveyors out there and there are many. I will be looking for you soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook