SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

Can't believe I missed this thread. interesting reading
Just a couple of things ...

ABYC Standards are not law but have come to be given significant weight by courts in Canada and USA where there are routinely accepted as "the" standard. It costs a lot of money to produce these standards and there is none of your tax money supporting the organization, someone has to pay for it, hence the $50/standard price.

I would very much like to see a cut'n'paste from the actual survey report showing where the surveyor said soft wood was not ABYC compliant. I have a really hard time believing any competent surveyor would say such a thing. Perhaps you hired an incompetent one ?
You can check to see if he is ABYC Standards Certified at abycinc.org.

Neither I nor any of the other SAMS AMS surveyors in Ontario believe in a difference between Pre-purchase, Condition & Valuation or Insurance surveys all our surveys regardless of what you call them are done the same way (and cost the same). Think of it this way if you are doing a shorter version insurance survey .... what do you leave out ?

In Ontario there are about 250 surveyors and less than 10 that I personally would hire.
Finding a good one involves some effort but they can be found.

In my recommendation section I clearly state whether the comment is "my opinion" or cite the applicable standard concerning the issue.
what is my opinion rather than what is a standard"

If at all possible you should be present for the survey. If you have found one of the good surveyors you will learn something.

Last edited by boatpoker; 06-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook