SailNet Community - View Single Post - Difficult Choice
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007

SNAPORAZ is on a distinguished road
Smile Difficult Choice: beauty & speed

dear friends, i need help.

I am about to buy my first serious boat and I need all the help I can get (I am sure you remember how insecure one gets and how afraid of making a mistake...).
Here is my profile: 40 yo, sailed from the age of 14 to 27, raced with Flyng Dutchman and Tornado (cat), 15th in the world championship of Tornado, stopped abruptly and only this year sailed again and found again that irresistible joy and happiness. Therefore: i know how to sail and race, but I have never actually raced with a yacht.
About to buy my first yacht (I owned laser, Flyng Dutchman, class A cat and Tornado in the past) and completely torn between two opposite philosophies (I am sure that many of you know this feeling).
My intentions: I want to keep the boat on the LI Sound, mostly use it as a daysailer, although I also want to use it as a vacation home for weekends in summer and fall, I would like to take it for a 2 week cruise along the east coast in the summer (maine), and I know that I will not resist the desire to race it on weekends (at a club level for now). I will mostly sail her with one or two people crew and I would like to be able to sail alone in very calm conditions). Also: never used the engine to enter and leave a marina: I will have to lear quickly.
I love to push a boat to her limits but I cannot resist the beauty of old-looking boats (long overhangs and some lovely wood in the cockpit, although no teak on deck!, great woodwork in the interior). i really can't help myself!
After researching the available boats in my budget 30-70K, I narrowed it down to two groups: beauty and speed:

Please, can you give me your knowledgable opinion about the quality of these boats, the speed, any thought, reccomendation, experience etc.

BEAUTY and COMFORT:

30 Sparkman & Stephens
30 Hinckley SW
34 HAlberg Mistral
Sabre 34-36-38
37 Vauquiez
37 Tartan
38 Little Harbor
39 C&C Northeast
40 Bristol
40 Cal
40 Palmer Johnson NY

RACE:

30 Omega
30 kirie Elite
36 Shock
36 Frers F3
37 Tripp
37 Farr

I will welcome any thought you might have.

Last edited by SNAPORAZ; 09-15-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook