SailNet Community - View Single Post - Difficult Choice
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

I keep Shiva in LIS and use it on the weekends and do a few longer crusises. I don't race, but like all sailors try to get there as fast as I can.

I have also done the Marion Bermuda race and sailed many times to the Caribbean and even to Brazil all on the boat I bought when I was almost 40 some 22 years ago.

Most important to me was that the boat could be singled handed and set up to do this EASILY. I do not want to rely on crew for ANYTHING including docking for things like fuel and water fill ups.

Since I intended and DO live aboard at times I want a comfy boat with a large cockpit we can lounge about in... eat and work the boat. A large galley is important as well if you intend to cruise.

You will want a decent auxiliary as well and a boat that behaves well under power, sail and at anchor.

I would avoid the full on racers and the real heavy offshore boats and look for a racer cruiser which meets the above criteria.

I lucked into the Contest 36 which is perfectly suited to MY requirements as noted above. I see many pretty boats on the outside, not as many with as good a cockpit (with the above criteria) and am unfamiliar with the accommodation plans of most boats as I don't go below or visit boat shows these days. I have no opinion on how these many attractive yachts perform.

I can only tell you that if your criteria align with mine you should consider a Contest 36 is you can find and afford one.

jef
sv shiva

BTW cruising up to ME will require more than two weeks to even touch her beauty. It take almost 6 or more days to get there and back unless you sail non stop.

Last edited by SanderO; 09-15-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook