SailNet Community - View Single Post - New ( ? ) idea on anchoring
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
New ( ? ) idea on anchoring

29 cascadefixer,
Good morning.
Rock is a tuff place to anchor. A danforth is out of the question.They bend.You have alot of ledge up there, right? Well, the danforth will hook the tip of a fluke on a ridge and because of their lightweight design,it will bend and send you drifting. As far as those fist and head size rocks,they will scoop-up those rocks in their flukes and become usless in no time. Or mabey it will hold just long enough for you to go to sleep and the wind to pick-up.Now your just,what I call, ''trolling for rocks''.And they won''t re-set. I don;t like danforths anyway except for mabey in pure sand, and then, only if I didn''t have my Bruce.Praise be to Bruce!
I''m glad I don''t have to anchor in rock and ledge like Great Lakes Sailors do but If I did,I would have (in fact I already do)a Fisherman(Herreschoff), A CQR and a Bruce.All on board. Properly sized for my boat, with properly sized chain and road for at least two anchors.
Oh,by-the-way,a grapnel is not really an anchor.They are mainly used for retrieving lost items off the bottom and lifting rodes off other rodes,etc.They are acually made to drag accross the bottom with-out holding.
Hope this helps,

Dennis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook