SailNet Community - View Single Post - LiveAboard, Cheap Sailboat, With Shallow Draft for Inland Waterways.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007

SUBMITGUY505 is on a distinguished road
What are these traditional dutch boats called? It is difficult for me to research them becuase I don't speak the language and I don't know the names of the boats.

Also, about the problems with cruising the inland waterways with shallow draft sailboats - can the masts come down on these boats, and cruise in the waterways with the motor only? This last poster says it to be impractical if not under sail, but I wouldn't think it impractical for a ship that would sail the ocean to sail in inland waterways with its engine. That would very practical, if, there is a boat that can do it. So the mast sticking way up in the air would not be practical. That would need to come down. Are there any boats that fit the description above plus lowerable mast? Ocean going live-aboard, safe, swing keel or shallow draft somehow, and swing mast, or lowerable mast. Plus plenty of space for supplies and people. The southerly was suggested, and a traditional dutch sailboat.

Can the masts go down on the Southerly?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook