SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007

Jim H is on a distinguished road
2007 Southampton Boat Show (UK)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but our planning/saga continues.

We now live in London, and we're exploring the sailing opportunities here. My wife is taking a dinghy sailing course today on an RS Vision at Welsh Harp Reservoir, and she's having a great time. We've joined their club so we can sail the resevoir as a family on their boats for now, and could have our own dinghy on a trolley there if we wanted to.

In two weeks, I get to do a sailing weekend with British Offshore out of Gosport on a Sigma 38. I'm looking forward to two nights and two days of sailing to Hamble and other parts of the area.

Yesterday, we all went to the Southampton Boat Show. It was like the Seattle Boat Show X 2. I have a gallery of pictures from the show here:

http://www.photos.sailingvoyage.com/v/album_012/

After reading about the breaking up of both Cascade and Pacific Seacraft, it was reassuring to see so many makes and models of boats on display, including a solid range of smaller open boats and pocket cruisers. Anyone for a new Drascombe?

Our favorite boats we boarded (in the realm of possibly owning some day):

1) Hallberg Rassey 342
2) Etap 37
3) Delphia 33 (half the cost of the first two on the list, but...)

As for our current lifestyles (remember: we don't own a car), we took a close look at the RS Vision and the RS Feva XL, which are rotomolded dinghy sailors with jibs, gennikers and extending sprits. Pretty much zero maintenance, and we could keep one at Welsh Harp reservoir or at Brighton (to dinghy-sail the channel). My wife is sailing the RS Vision today during her sailing class.

We also boarded the 1962 Bounty built for the Brando movie (but used in Pirates of the Caribe, Treasure Island, etc.). The Bounty was nothing, however, compared to the Gipsy Moth IV, which we boarded, lingered on, and chatted with one of the crew of the recent 3 person circumnav.

There was so much at the show that it was overwhelming to try and do in a day, and we might return for another day next weekend. The kids were blown away by the big pool set up for "try diving." It was filled up with kids 8-14 years old trying out scuba tanks for the first time for free. They would definitely like to get in on that action.

Jim H
London, UK

Last edited by Jim H; 09-16-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook