SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I remove the babystay and the engine?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkg4237 View Post
I got a Yamaha 30, and I use a for club races. I found the babystay makes spinnaker gybing very unconvenient. If i remove it what will be the influence? Will the mast break more easily?

On the other hand, it's difficult for me to find a feathering propella here, so I want to remove the 16hp Yanma diesel engine and the propella, instead installing an outboard engine. But my friend told me if I remove the engine, the CE of the boat will change, and makes it can't go upwind, is it true?
While I'm not familiar with the Yamaha if the babystay is there instead or forward lowers then you should not remove it. On the other hand if you have both forward and aft lowers then the BS is only there fo rig tune so could be safely removed going downhill. You'd probably want to rig up a Highfield lever to make the process simpler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highfield_lever

Our boat (Van De Stadt 34') has both a babystay and an inner forestay. While we leave the babystay permanently attached (no forward lowers) the inner forestay is removeable and is tensioned by the aforementioned lever. (how it works I have no idea as the lever is being fitted to the new rig that goes in this week. currently it's done by a rigging screw which is unsatisfactory on a number of levels.)

BTW, you do really mean a babystay don't you ? Not an inner forestay ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook