SailNet Community - View Single Post - I created an app to help sailing beginners with the basics!
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: I created an app to help sailing beginners with the basics!

Marian

"Right of way" is not a Term that is used in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea ( Colregs). Which should be the "Official" source for Navigation Rules. I think there is one reference in the Inland Rules to ROW..for Western Rivers, narrow channels.

The proper terminology for vessels encountering each other in the steering and sailing rules is: "Stand-on" and "Give-way" The responsibilities of each vessel is outlined in Rules 16 and 17 for both international and inland.

Both vessels are responsible for avoiding collision. There are no "Rights"..per se

Each vessel may typically be assigned a portion of blame or responsibility for a collision.
Rule 2 Pretty much outlines that no vessel should "stand-on" into danger.

The Term "Right of Way" is often wrongly construed to imply that the Stand-on vessel's responsibility to avoid collision is somehow diminished. It's use in any instructional Apps to the general public would perpetuate this myth. While it might sell to the general public, it would never be adopted or endorsed for use by any of the recognized sources of instruction, if that is a goal.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

Last edited by Tempest; 06-20-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook