SailNet Community - View Single Post - I created an app to help sailing beginners with the basics!
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: I created an app to help sailing beginners with the basics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianFrische View Post
Wow, thank you for that extensive answer!

I will try to change the section names and explanations for the next update, I just have to find a solution for the title,"International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea" is too long and I think "Colregs" is too misleading/obscure for newcomers.
I think COLREGS is appropriate. If you're going to sail, it's your guiding light so to speak. Consider it another term they need to learn. At this level almost every term is obscure. If education is the point of the app, teaching them that COLREGS exists and should be something everyone should know should be part of the learning process. I'm not saying include the entire text, but a short explanation would be good.

For what it's worth (and that's not much), my opinion is that for the price of the app, it should be presented as if a professional, experienced sailor developed it even if it is for beginners. If you're presenting it only as something you threw together to help your father and here, you might like it too, it should be free.

I think your intentions are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook