SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking under sail... DDW??!
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Many years ago I used to sail an Oday Javelin (14 ft daysailer) on Lake Michigan. This is when I lost all respect for power boat drivers. Because I kept her on a trailer, I had to sail in to a boat launching ramp. We had a dock next to the ramp, which would have made it easy, except for the power boaters. One sails in only as fast as one is willing to hit the dock, and because I was doing less than 40 mph some ahol in a power boat would punch in ahead of me, and I would have to go around again. And again. And again. And again. Fortunately, I usually did not have a pressing urgency to land before dark, because I sometimes would repeatedly abort attempts to land for hours. I once landed by coming alongside the fifth power boat that cut me off, and was verbally abused until I left the boat and walked over to the person and offered to kick his butt (I was careful to select a somewhat smaller person.) Take my advice -- buy a small outboard for landing purposes!
I had this experience earlier this summer. I finally ended up doing much tighter circles off the end of the dock than I was really comfortable with (it wasn't my boat; it was a Bucc 18 someone loaned me) just to keep my place in line. Docking is one of the primary reasons I got a little motor for my trailer sailor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook