SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Full Keel boats
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Older Full Keel boats

Dennis,

With all due respect, I don''t think that is a fair assessment of my position at all. I think you are selling me short. Actually, I love traditional boats, as well as, modern boats. I have owned, and restored quite a few wooden boats, the oldest of which was constructed in the 1930''s. I have documented traditional watercraft and truely am a fan of what traditional boats have to offer. When I worked for the late yacht designer, Charlie Wittholz, most of the boat designs that I worked on were very traditional designs that included a number of schooners, yawls and gaff catboats. I still very much enjoy sailing traditional watercraft and get to sail on and enjoy sailing on a wide range of traditional craft, as well as, the more modern boats that I own, cruise, daysail and race. Even so, I am currently working on a design for a very traditional daysailor that I hope to build for myself in the next few years.

BUT based on that experience, owning and sailing tradtional watercraft, as well as, sailing and owning the abominations of the late CCA era (which in my view are not really traditional watercraft and lack the significant virtues of traditional watercraft) and as well as owning a wide range of more modern craft, I see the relative virtues of both modern and traditional craft. They each offer very different sailing experiences and abilities. My belief, as often expressed in my posts, is that it is important to try to keep these virtues and liabilities in perspective. It is too easy to glorify one or the other of these boat types beyond thier abilities. I try in my posts to present a balanced view point at least as I have experienced it or researched it.

In this case, I think that you are especially unfair to my position on this tread. If you look at the two boats that I suggested, one a 1960''s era MORC design (which during that time period was a far more wholesome racing rule that produced far more well-rounded designs than the CCA rule of the era) and the other a design based on the H-28 (the quintessential full keeled small cruiser of that era) neither would reflect a devotion to "to high speed, high performance and high tech yacht".

In fairness I will say that my normal position reflects my belief that most people who have normal jobs, and so have limited time to use thier boats, are far better served by more modern, higher performance and higher tech yachts. It is also fair to say that my opinions also reflect my belief that yacht design principles that resulted from the limitations of the materials available in the 1920''s and 1930''s are often being oversold as the only way to go cruising and frankly I do think that is hog wash. A lot has happened since these design principles made sense and to rigidly adhere to them as the only way to go make no more sense than to advocate that we all drive 1920''s or 1930''s era automobiles as daily drivers.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook