SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
Newport Boat Show

I would be interested in other's impressions of the Newport Boat Show. I was there on Sunday; the weather was beautiful, and it wasn't too crowded. Lots of sailboats to see, including some of the most beautiful I have ever come across.

The Friendship 40 and 53 were not to be believed; I was on the 40 a few years ago and have seen pictures since, but still. Wow. The 53 was even more impressive. The quality of craftsmanship and the sheer beauty of the interior and all the brightwork above and below decks is truly breathtaking. Simply the most impressive boat I have ever seen. I may have made a mistake going to these boats so early in the show as everything else suffered in comparison.

Still mighty impressive were the M42 and M36. Morris was giving sailing demonstrations of the 36. These boats are pretty at the dock, but are even more beautiful moving about. I also made it a point to go see the Alerions and Island Packets. I was also favorably impressed with the Catalina's. I really liked the 30' model (I think it is the 309). I know I am in the minority here (help me out Cruising Dad!), but I think they are a good value, and I like the styling better than their competition.

Tents/displays? They were ok. The usual suspects, but I didn't see the normal overwhelming West Marine display this year. Maybe I missed it, but in prior years (I don't go every year), West has had a big presence, and was selling a few products at ridiculously low prices. Last time I was there a couple of years ago, it was their version of the fold-up seat and boat hooks.

I happened to sit down next to a guy who looked like he stepped out of a Maine yachting ad and started up a conversation. Talk turned to our own boats, and I thought he was going to tell me about his new IP or Hinckley. Turns out he is a fellow Oday owner. He has a 25, and since I have a 23, we had a lot to talk about. We agreed that sailing on the cheap is the way to go. Were any of you there too?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook