SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help Me Find My Boat
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007

gnsail is on a distinguished road
Help Me Find My Boat

I just graduated from college and recently moved down to the Clear Lake TX area with my new job. Having mixed feelings about moving so south of Houston, my father suggested for me to find a sailboat to liveboard. I like the idea instead of pouring money into a one bedroom apartment (not too mention I get to be back on a boat). I have been wearing out the internet and my broker looking at tons of boats and waiting, hoping for more boats to come on the market. Overall I have been very disappointed. I have been looking at a financiable, 50k or less, 35-38ft, great sailing quick boat I can sail in the bay and the gulf. I don't plan on making long trips and I would prefer something newer. (For financing purposes as well as the overall looks). I have read a great deal of old posts using the handy "search this forum” feature but need more situational guidance to either get serious about certain boats, or get them off my list. So many great boats suggested in my ft range as well as price range are not offered in my area. The thought of spending 5k or more for shipping is too much for me to consider. For example, I really like the layout and lines of the 1985 Beneteau First 38 for 49,900 in my area. I would prefer a boat with a roller furler, marine A/C, self tailing winches and a shallower draft. Being that it is so late in the hot season, is it feasible to use the carry-on AC for the rest of the year and buy the extras to make it how I want it along the way. Or should I take this boat off my list. I am currently not under a lease but only have that luxury through October which is when I would like to have a boat by. It is so difficult doing the practical thing when I feel like I have been patient to no avail thus far (I know searching for 5 months is nothing). A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook