SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami to Bimini
Thread: Miami to Bimini
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 06-24-2014
Old as Dirt!
Re: Miami to Bimini

Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
I get ONE week off every year (I own a business and my wife owns one, too).

I have two options 1)the week of Thanksgiving or 2)the week of Christmas/New Years.

I have a strange idea that I'd like to trailer my 24' Spindrift down to Miami and cross to Bimini.

I have made longer trips in her (Pascagoula to Pensacola). I have made trips in "open water" (in the reletive protection of the Gulf Of Mexico). I have been sailing for 30 years - the last 10 years along the Gulf Coast... It doesn't seem difficult, but that is precisely what bothers me..

Am I crazy? What am I missing? It's like I can't see the forrest for the trees..

It this common? It seems like it would be. Does that Gulf Stream really set the boat off bad and make a 50 mile trip more like a 100 mile trip?

what is it I am missing?

As/When/If you come back to this thread, page down to the very bottom of the page displaying your post and you will find a list of other threads that discuss the same subject/information. As a practical matter, you'd be wise to think about the proposed expedition at that time of year in that sized boat carefully. And your appetite for discomfort. See Capta's post, above.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome