SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami to Bimini
Thread: Miami to Bimini
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: Miami to Bimini

I have crossed from Fort Lauderdale more times than I can count in my former Irwin 38. I also made the crossing in a Sea Ray 460 a few times. Last March, my girlfriend and I crossed from Miami to Bimini on two SeaDoo waverunners. I don't think we ever took weather into account when sailing. Sometimes we motored the whole way because the water was glass, and sometimes there were 25 footers. It all depends on your abilities and that boat's abilities. How does that boat like pounding into steep square waves?

The problem with having such a tight window is that it might lead to disappointment if conditions don't meet your needs.

As far as "things to do" in Bimini, there are thousands of things to do. You will not be able to do everything in a week. Honeymoon harbor, Sapona, Sarah's for dinner, Joe's conch shack, end of the world bar, etc. etc. etc.

For the naysayers, why shouldn't that boat be able to make it to Bimini? If that boat can't make it to bimini in any conditions, I would suggest never taking it there at all. In a sailboat, conditions can change, and one must be ready for nearly anything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook