SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need material to raise floor of bilge slightly
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Need material to raise floor of bilge slightly

The bilge has, coming from the mast aft, 3 shallow compartments (about 9 inches deep, 18 " by 12",and then a deep compartment which ends well before the companionway, 3-4 ft. deep.

The two compartments closest to the mast do not drain completely as the limber hole pipe is slightly too high - I would like to raise the level to the limber hole with some TBD material.

Sailingdog suggested "a marine epoxy putty like, MarineTex, which will cure even if it gets wet. However, it does need a temperature of 70˚F or so to do so, so some heat may be required. If you decide to use MarineTex, get it as fair as possible, since it is very tough to sand fair once it cures."

Where I need to put this stuff has a support beam overtop which makes access difficult. It would be nice if I could use a material that pours rather than needs to be spread.

Any suggestions out there? I am imagine I might look for something in a craft shop, etc. The material doesn't need to provide strength as ,nothing is broken.....

Thanks! Saltypat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook