SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Tests
Thread: Anchor Tests
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Anchor Tests

29 cascadefixer,
Well...when you consider that ,according to this test, it takes ,say, threehundred-fifty lbs of force to upset the Bruce, you have to be in gale force winds if your boat is a thirty-three footer.How many times have you done that?Gale force winds!Thats not bad.I can honestly say that I have hung on my thirty-three Bruce in that weather more than once in sand on three to one scope! And if you look at the Dutch anchor test, the Bruce sixteen (half the size)held to four hundred seven lbs.
Holding power can be kind of mis leading.Go back to those tests and look at all those ''no sets''.Acouple of times other anchors didn''t set at all!Now imagine your off a lee shore(and this happened to me at Quicks hole where the currant and seas get bad at certain tides)your motoring into a noreaster on the nose,your diesel sucks-up air and quits cause your fuel is low and seas are five and six foot chop.I dropped the Bruce and it stuck,the first time, so I could do what I had to do.
I''d be a fool to argue the holding power of a danforth type anchor but they can foul,and sometimes easily.And when they do they don''t re-set.The bruce does.There''s alot to be said for reiability in setting.And the Bruce...You don''t have to survey the bottom;just drop it;It''ll grab.How good is an anchor that only sets two times out of three.
True, the Bruce is not a storm anchor so just don''t use it as one.Thats why next to my Bruce on my anchor platform sits a CQR and in the bottom of my sail locker(I''m not stupid)lies a danforth twenty-five pounder.

Dennis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook