SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many women here own their own boat?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassMeBy View Post
Just putting in two cents (I'm a guy). I've been following a gal in Panama on YouTube that impresses the holy crap out of me. (Untie the lines). She bought an aluminum boat and has done everything from repairing holes to wiring. Was in the Navy on ships with women. Anything that needed doing got done.

No reason why women can't be skippers of their own craft. The biggest problems women face is the same as men. Honesty. If you don't know something, say so. Find out about it and move forward.

Another problem is taking it personal or some sort of insult if someone treats you like a "girl". I was raised to open doors and watch my language. Take advantage of that and I won't be around you long enough for you to mind anyway. Beat me up for it, same same.

I vote for more women skippers and more "girl" boats!
I agree with everything that PMB says except he misses the point of this thread, which if you go back to the beginning...

There are very few women who are the primary owners of their boat

The question was originally posted almost two years ago and 143 people have responded though maybe half (at least) were not women who solely own their boats. At the risk of over-generalizing, I believe the biggest problem is because we tend to teach our girls that the world is a dangerous place when they venture around by themselves. We tell them to go places in a group, don't go out alone at night, and then we wonder what's wrong with them if they don't have a partner. It seems little wonder that few of them want to take on anything so risky as owning a boat. And about those Navy girls -- I am sure they are competent and probably super bad-a$$es, if one had to go up against them, but they are also in a controlled environment with superiors telling them what to do, and many people around them at all times. There might be some, though I'd guess still very few, who would be adventurous enough to cross a well-fortified, border checkpoint in a country where you can't speak the language or comprehend the signs, just to find a dive spot up the highway somewhere to spend a couple of vacation days. Or buy a boat in Panama sight unseen, then move there to go sailing. We tend to create too much fear of the unknown in our heads. Maybe posts like these and the increasing number of women sailors will eventually change that.

Last edited by gamayun; 06-25-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook