SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Got it and replied already. Thanks, Alex.

Question about the 60mm Lewmar fiddle blocks as opposed to the "butter smooth" Harken recommendation (your 2nd recommendation - the one with triple sheaves): The Lewmar will tame the mainsheet as well or better?

What size mainsheet line should I put on these?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I think you will get less effort from the triple block arragment, as the purchasse is higher 6:1 with the triple and 4:1 with the fiddle.

However, with the triple you will need to pull more sheet to get the same movement out of the boom, whereas with the fiddle the purchase is lower, but you will get more movement of the boom with less sheet.

I prefer the fastest method, with the fiddle, but its only a question of preference. So what I did, to compensate for the increased effort I suggested 80mm fiddle instead of the 60mm. But the 60mm will be fine and enough.

The reference for the Harken triple with ratchet and cleat and cam is: Harken 1556
The simple triple block on the boom is Harken 1546. Please note these are normal blocks, not carbo or Black Magic.

You will do with 8 or 10mm sheet fine, whatever that is in inches...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook