SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014

rippy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Cal 21 Owners

Alas, I feel like such a lazy sailor bum Have been sailing off a dock since beginning of June or so. Weather was finally turning and the river was calling so I hitched her up and drove down to my friendly marina Explained that I wanted the boat lifted high enough to drop the keel out. They didn't seem to want to put her on jacks so they lifted her higher in the slings. They took over and sledged the keel bolt out. But the keel was wedged in and didn't want to come out. Time seemed to be becoming an issue and the keel trunk was moving too much for my comfort so we jointly decided that everything was "probably" OK and managed to line up the bolt hole in the keel with that in the trunk and eventually hammered the bolt back through. Dropped her in the water, crossed fingers, and had a short conversation with Neptune.
It's about a 20 minute motor out the Rondout to the Hudson, and then enough river to enjoy sailing. Have enjoyed different conditions, but think I like 10 mph breeze in same direction as tide. Bumping around in waves makes my mind turn to the stories I have read about lost keels
Definitely have a plan to examine the total keel at some point, but truth be told I'd rather sail than work on boats when the weather is right.
As a final note, I am getting used to her tenderness. Still lots of things needed to make her sail better. This fall I should have everything needed to release the wire from the keel, but then I may need a sea anchor to slow her down!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook