SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slip Width
Thread: Slip Width
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Slip Width

Johar,

Without being able to eyeball your slip/situation, it''s a bit tough to address your questions. But here goes an attempt since I singlehand almost exclusively and have quite a bit of experience dealing with slips.

First suggestion is to think about the geometry of the pull applied by the spring line that you first tie when reentering. It may be too far forward if your stern is swinging around. You may be better off first grabbing a stern line since it seems that you''re most concerned about that end of the boat. I grab a stern line first myself FWIW. Next I go for a bowline. the springs are the last ones I go for.

It also sounds like you grab the same spring line first all the time. I first grab the lines on the windward side of the boat in the slip to control the boat better. My stern walks to port in reverse, and I use the propwalk to help control the boat when the wind is coming from port -- the propwalk will put me right by the piling to grab the port stern line first.

If the wind is pushing me into the slip, grabbing a stern line first makes it easy to stop and to control the boat.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook