SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

Olin.
on our 1970 model the plywood was more like 5/8" and consisted of a 6-8" plank across the top that backed up the hull-deck joint across the top of the transom and also the bolts for the top pintle and hte backstay chainplate. Then there was another piece sized to back up the bolts for the outboard bracket, and one more smaller piece located to back up the bolts for the lower pintle. The plywood used was plenty strong enough for the job, as ours never gave us any trouble over 38 years. This is actually a quite normal design/construction for sailboat transoms, only using plywood in hte localized areas of need. I've attached the best picture of the area that I have, doesn't show it too well, but...!

I guess that I could include one very scary observation though......... I never did find ANY evidence that the backstay chainplate was through bolted! As far as I can tell (and Richard Fuller, owner of the old CAL 21 web-site) said the same. It appears to have used wood screws? but they must have been short ones? Well, whatever, it never loosened up in the 38 years we owned NODROG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lazerette.jpg (14.6 KB, 10 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to rjohnson For This Useful Post:
othomas3 (06-27-2014)