SailNet Community - View Single Post - JEFF H input wanted
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002

svdiversion is on a distinguished road
JEFF H input wanted

Jeff H.

Were you dreaming when you wrote your message or having a Bacardi nightmare.

Your facts are incorrect in almost all aspects.

C&C Yachts did not come about until 1969. Prior to that Cuthbertson & Cassian had a design group but were not building boats. What was the 22 foot boat designed by C&C? You said the Redwing 35 never impressed you but the C&C 35 was a barnstormer. C&Cs first real success was the 35 - essentially the same boat as the Redwing 35 and was origninally designed for Hinterhoeller Yachts.

You said that "amoungst the C&C afficionatos the C&C 30 mk1 was seen as a major dud". Show me an "afficionato" who claims the C&C 30 MKI as a dud and I''ll take him out for a sail on mine. Sure they might be slow in light air but given 8 knots of wind and you''ll see my transom. How many boats of that size can fly a 150 jenny, no reefs in the main and withstand it? The C&C 30 MKI will. If it was such a dud, why did C&C continue building the boat for 10 years and produce close to 1000 boats (second only the the 27 that went through 4 models). I''ve got a 1973 model and there is abosultely no flexing, especially in the bow. The boat was built to be stiff, construction was superior and today they show it.

The 24 did not come until a few years later when C&C figured it was time for some new models to replace the 25, 27 and 30. The results were poor. So the 30 went back into production. Why would C&C restart the production of a dud?

C&C did not use high density foam coring in the decks and hulls - it was balsa. C&C proved that for most uses, and certainly racing, lightweight, stiff hulls were superior to heavy, single-skin hulls.

When a boat starts to hobbyhorse, it is not the boat''s fault but the crew. If the boat is not rigged correctly it will do some pretty wierd things. More complications set in when the helmsman wants to go one way and the crew tweaks the sails to go another.

What do other C&C MK I owners think - you are a dreamer.

Stu
Owner - C&C Photo Album
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook