SailNet Community - View Single Post - New crush -- Ensenada 20
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
175 feet is a modest sail plan, modest, my underpants are 175' sqr.
Could I borrow a pair? My jib's all blown out.

PG: Wyoming. Mean wind speed at my house is over 14 mph. It's brilliant for sailing -- never a drifting day. But the summer wind jumps from 3 kts to 30 with no apparent cause or warning. Our weather doesn't come from fronts -- it's all local sloshing around. Typical mountain stuff. So a flexible sail plan is a must; I'll sacrifice light wind performance for a boat that'll take a punch. Our Bucc18 carries 175 sqft -- at 500 lbs, all of it above waterline. I've been blown off the lake on bare poles. BTW, it's a rare week in winter that doesn't see winds over 70 mph. I've clocked 119 mph in my back yard. Eek.

The Ensenada floats in 12", can sail even with the board up (unlike the SJ21), and only draws 4' with the board down (same as the Buccaneer). It is a very small cockpit -- they claim it seats five? But for all our social-sailing plans, 90% of our sailing is onesies or twosies. We have the Bucc with its nine-foot cockpit for scaring large numbers of people at once.

One big concern -- nearly all E20s I've seen are salt-water boats. Solid iron keel....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook