SailNet Community - View Single Post - JEFF H input wanted
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002

gnylander is on a distinguished road
JEFF H input wanted

Jeff, I also sail on the Chesapeake, and don''t agree that the 30-1 is a dud. Yes, it is not the best light air boat around, but overall, it performs adequately. Mine is a 1980 and has spent all of its life on the bay. I don''t understand your comment about flexing, I have been in everything up to around 40 knots of wind and 6-7'' seas and haven''t noticed any problems. A few years ago we cruise/raced back to St. Michaels from West River and saw 35 knots before the wind meter died - just my wife driving and me crewing. Beat a number of larger boats with small crews. The previous day we beat them in light air. Proper sail selection is important. The boat is quite stiff (maybe that''s the dud part) but that lends an air of security. It is pretty dry. I have no gelcoat problems in the transom area, just on the deck where a fellow competitor (idiot) tacked into me (T-bone) - messed his bow up big time but just bent a couple of stanchions. I guess I just don''t understand your comments, as I don''t think the boat is a dud at all.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook