SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
The thing is we are either holed up in a marina working our touches off to top off our cruising kitty so we can get away sailing again, or we're in the middle of a refit with half of the boat disassembled.
Robyn, I'm with you on this one, that's my situation too. My boat has been in it's slip for nearly a year by itself and I'm sure everyone wonders why I ever bought it. What they don't know is that I bought it to go out for a cruise and see if I liked cruising, which I did, very much. SO much, in fact, that instead of spending time with my boat, I immediate started working as much as possible and started ignoring the boat so I can go cruising FOR REAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
A couple of years ago we were crewing on a boat that sailed from the Red Sea to Turkey. We arrived at our final destination and pulled into our slip next to a beautiful 55 foot sailboat fully equiped with gleaming brightwork and spotless teak decks. When the owner stopped to chat with us he told us that they never left the dock. They flew in from Europe a few times a year and lived aboard. They were too afraid to go out sailing. We thought that was really sad.
I reasoned this into my own thinking from the beginning and decided I want to spend as little as possible on a safe boat. Safety is my concern, seaworthiness, etc, not looks or "extras", or even comfort except in that it helps me be more safe. I want a boat I'm not afraid to leave at anchor so I can go off on adventures and not worry all the time what is happening to it. I don't want to be one of those people who sit at a restaurant looking over their shoulder all the time wondering if their boat is okay, or whatever. I want a boat I can leave for weeks at a time.

I want to live my life and have a great time, and I want the boat to do it's part. Which is quite a different goal from wanting the boat to have a great life, and doing my part.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook