SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ignition switch stuck in on position.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Ignition switch stuck in on position.

Murphy's Law strikes my CS 34! Motoring back in to the marina yesterday, the ignition key broke off at the switch for my Universal 18 hp diesel. No problem, the engine was stopped as usual by shutting off the fuel. The only problem is that the ignition switch is now stuck in the 'on' position. I got the end of the key out, and will try to have a copy made by a locksmith. If not, I know I need to replace the ignition switch. My question is: other than the obvious problems of a very low drain on the batteries from the gauges working (not a problem when connected to shore power), and the fact that anyone can now start my engine without a key (temporarily fixed by disabling the fuel lever under the lazarette), does anyone know if there is any harm to the engine to having this key switch in the 'on' position for a few days until this can be fixed? Is this anything other than a nuisance problem that a new key will fix?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook