SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a 28' boat, with a 6:1 mainsheet system, and we need every bit of it. How large is the main on your boat? Mine is about 250 sq. ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Pretty close. The sailplan calls for a 11.8' clew. I just called it 12'. The mainsheet attachment point is 4' from the end of the boom, which is about 13' long. (I did a rough measurement of the boom, w/o removing the sail cover, yesterday.)

Everything's relative. We both find the traveler to be easy to move, wherever we want, on any tack and, so far, regardless of wind strength. So maybe we ought to be relying more on that and less on the mainsheet.

We'll give a new 4:1 system a try. If it's still too much, I'll look to increasing it to a 5:1 or 6:1 system. My goodness, it's only a 30' boat. Had one experienced sailor yesterday tell me there's nothing wrong with the blocks we have, just file down the teeth in the cleat a bit, and change the angle a bit if we can.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook