SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
You should be doing your calculation based on heavier wind conditions than 15kts IMHO.
Somewhere between 15 and 20 kts, we'll be putting a reef in.

Quote:
... and if you get into some gusting wind (gusts to 30 kts) it won't be easy to spill to reduce your heel.
If we get 30 kt gusts w/o a reef in, we've done something very wrong, IMHO. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it shouldn't happen.

Quote:
Ideally you'd want an 8:1 to cut these loads in half; but 6:1 would probably be manageable.
8:1?!?! You do realize we're talking about a 30' boat here, right?

Quote:
It looks like you have a windward sheeting car.
Don't know what that means, sorry.

Quote:
Chris is correct in stating that the traveler can be a more effective sail control than the mainsheet. Another thing to consider is sheeting the sail down flat with the mainsheet and then lowering the traveler to reduce heel. Doing this keeps the mainsail at minimum draft yet spilling power.
It seems experimentation is in order. Chris suggests not sheeting the main in quite so tight and bringing the traveler up, you suggest sheeting the main down tight and lowering the traveler.

Quote:
I would go to the higer range of the 30kt loads (SWL of 2500 or so).
I am never going to be trying to sail that boat in 30 kt winds with a full main. By 30 kts I should be on the 2nd reef point and have the #3 up, if anything.

Quote:
If you run through the compu-spec on the Pearson 30 mid-boom it kicks back...
But we don't really have mid-boom. We have 2/3 or 3/4 boom.

Quote:
what Giu suggested earlier.
But then he said, if he was doing it, he'd do either the 60mm or 80mm Lewmar system.

Had a chance to look at some Lewmar blocks over the weekend. I must say I'm impressed. They somehow seemed more... substantial (?), is the best way I can think to put it, than the approximate equivalent Harken parts. Also, it looks to me like Lewmar is getting higher safe working and peak loads than Harken in blocks with a smaller footprint.

Quote:
On our boat we recently upgraded the traveler; it was originally 3:1 and impossible to move/control in winds over 15kts.
We have absolutely no problem with the traveler on any tack, in any wind, so far.

Quote:
HTH...
I don't know if it did, or not. I certainly appreciate the comments, but you've got me second guessing decisions.

I've had Alex say the 60mm Lewmar fiddle blocks should be fine for our needs (SWL: 882 lbs, breaking: 1764 lbs.), but he'd go with the 80mm (SWL: 2204 lbs, breaking: 4409 lbs.) if it was his boat. Harken comes up with parts with much higher working and breaking loads than the 60mm Lewmars. You're coming up with much higher loads than the 80mm Lewmars. Meanwhile I've got local people telling me the 60mm Lewmar parts should be fine, and one sailer even telling me what we've already got is fine.

So I think I'm just going to give the 60mm Lewmar blocks a try, and go from there. That seems about mid-way between the two extremes of opinion . Besides: The Admiral won't let me spend over $400 on the 80mm Lewmar solution.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook