SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fear of Heeling
Thread: Fear of Heeling
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Fear of Heeling

About a month ago I was sailing in 20 25 knot winds close hauled, healing nicely and sailing fast A large powerboat passed close (to close) on our leeward side. He was moving full throttle and makeing a nasty wake. Just as he passed us the wind gusted to maybe 35 knots. It was not a gusty day and we didn''t expect the gust or the powerboat.

Needless to say, alot more that the rail went under water. I remember looking over and seeing the powerboats wake hit the cabin top. I brought the boat into the wind and it came up ok, but it was scarey. Seeing the crew of other sailboats standing up and staring at us meant it probably looked as scarey as it was..lol

Anyway, one of my usual sailing buddies (female, if it matters) is now really paranoid of healing. When she is out with us I take it easy hoping she will snap out of it, but if we start to heal much she starts shaking and getting scared. I even tried putting her on the mainsheet/traveler so she can dump the main if heal becomes to much for her. Nothing seems to help.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook