SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Hmm... I think you should be making the decision based on what the calculator tells you and erring on the side of safety.
I cannot argue with that. But I likewise cannot convince The Admiral of it when I've got local people arguing differently. Plus I've had at least two different people tell me the Harken calculators over-estimate. (Yes, of course at least one of them said that w/in earshot of The Admiral.)

Quote:
At 25 kts wind your mainsheet bail will see a load of 1500 lbs; so that is way too close to the breaking load of 1760 lbs.
At 25 kts I'll be reefed, unless it's a puff and the average wind speed is under 20kts.

Quote:
Does The Admiral have a good life jacket? She should consider the mainsheet control just as important to her safety as a good PFD.
She does. We both do.

Problem is: I have Alex telling me those Lewmar parts are sufficient to our needs. I have local people telling me everything from the same thing to "there's nothing wrong with your current blocks." In the end: It's her boat and her money.

Is there a chance the new Lewmar parts are not as strong as the current Shaffer parts?

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-24-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook