SailNet Community - View Single Post - NYC to Chesapeake Advice Sought
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
NYC to Chesapeake Advice Sought

Halyardz,

Slips predominate over moorings here in Chesapeake country, and price depends quite a bit on location. Baltimore Inner Harbor or Annapolis will be higher than elsewhere. Once you work up an itinerary and have an idea where you want to leave the boat, then someone on the list probably can come up with an estimated cost for leaving the boat for a week. (I''ll put in a plug for the marina where I keep my boat, White Rocks Marina. It''s on Rock Creek, south shore of the Patapsco below Baltimore. Plenty of transient slips, and relatively close to BWI airport. If you want more info about it, let me know.)

As for "must see" places -- how far south do you intend to go? Annapolis, Solomons Island, Deltaville? Working your way from north to south, some suggestions are the Sassafras River and Georgetown, Rock Hall, the Chester River (loads of creeks to explore),Baltimore''s Inner Harbor,Annapolis, St. Michaels, Oxford, Solomons Island, Crisfield -- and that''s just Maryland. It also depends on whether you prefer towns or scenic anchorages.

You really can hardly go wrong on a place to drop the anchor on the Chesapeake. We all have our favorite spots. Do some more thinking/planning and then run those ideas by the list. Good luck. I find the planning is almost as much fun as the cruise itself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook