SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard vs. Inboard
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002

808state is on a distinguished road
Outboard vs. Inboard

Moving to Ft. Myers next year and plan on sailing one way or another. Plan on sailing West Coast of Florida, the Keys, out to the Torgugas, and maybe Bahamas. Live in Pittsburgh now and mostly sail on inland lakes and sometimes charter 25'' Keelboats w'' outboards on Lake Erie, never far from Presque Isle Bay. Have yet to hit heavy weather while sailing. I''ve been looking at MANY models, sizes, drafts, beams, displacments, etc, etc. My budget at buying time will be about $20,000. I know I''ll get an inboard diesel if the right one comes along, but I''ve seen alot of nice boats that are definitly seaworthy, however, some have outboards only. Am I crazy to be entertaining the thought of buying a seaworthy boat, that has only an outboard, for the type of sailing I mentioned above? Is it not safe to think of sailing to the Bahamas or the Tortugas, or anywhere out of sight of land without an inboard diesel? Any experiences, opinions appreciated. Wishin'' all the best to those in Lilli''s path. May your boats be safe! Bob.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook