SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nissan / Tohatsu 6h 4 stroke
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007
F235 Sailing

audeojude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I use a Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke for my Achilles inflatable, and it works just fine.
I'm not saying this engine won't work fine for some applications. It cranks reliably, gets good fuel economy, the ultra long shaft is the bomb.. very very nice.. but the engine doesn't have the power of my 4 hp 2 stroke. For me this is end of story.. after 2 months working with the manufacture to figure out why. I made modifications to my engine mount per their request and tried the lowest pitch prop they sell for the engine and in the end they gave up and just said my boat is to big/heavy for the engine. I agree with them now after testing the second engine on my friends boat and getting the same performance numbers from it. My boat is to big and heavy for the engine. Its not to big and heavy for my 4 hp 2 stroke engine though.

As far as putting the engine on a dinghy.. it should work great for that. Just don't expect it to be a power house. According to all I have read and I have read, and thats a lot, it should run reliably for a long time. It should get great fuel economy. Don't expect it to be much quieter than a 2 stroke at full throttle though. Also it vibrates a lot which the dealer and manufacture both went out of their way to tell me is just normal for these one cylinder engines. If you can afford the weigh I would for sure go to a 2 cylinder engine. I wish now I had just for the quiet and smooth running. not to mention the extra power. After getting this engine and having issues with the performance both the dealer and manufacture started telling me that they thought I should have gotten the 8 or 9.8 engine for my boat.

The whole situation has left a bad taste in my mouth. The dealer I bought from on the internet was useless. When I first contacted them about it they didn't even bother to follow up with me after saying they would. Tohatsu USA, the manufacture did work with me for a long time trying to run down what the issue was. Even though I'm unhappy with the engine they did work with me and gave good customer service to a degree. their service center on the other hand was terrible, in my opinion incompetent. I spent a lot of money purchasing this engine and it hasn't met any of the criteria I had other than fuel economy. Quieter operation and more power than my old engine were flops. I am trying to return the engine but there is doubt over being able to do so. If I can't I'm stuck with 1400 dollars for an engine I could have spent 700 for in another new 4 hp 2 stroke.

Last edited by audeojude; 09-25-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook