SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior Cabin Walls
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandBy View Post
Unfortunately my boat came from the 70's and the walls are lined with carpet - they aren't even shaggy so they won't attract a young Jane Fonda into my boat!

What I'd like to do is go with tongue and groove horizontal planking and then paint them a nice piano white.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this? My concerns are moisture and plank buckling and what type of wood to use.

thanks
What others have said re the difficulty is quite correct. I'd intended doing the same thing on one of my previous boats but in the end the amount of work required dissuaded me. I ended up battening the hull and using sheets of ply that I painted. The end result was quite satisfactory and in reality had I gone with the tongue and groove timber most of it would have ended up hidden behind bookshelves and suchlike. You can buy fake tongue and grooved board but it not the v-groove type which to my mind is the nicest.

What you could do is get a couple of lengths of t & g and play around with it to see if it is likely to work. Thickness of the material may be the hardest part.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook