SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 3GM30F
Thread: Yanmar 3GM30F
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 3GM30F

Friday night we arrived at the boat and stowed our gear. The better half and I were discussing leaving the next day in the morning and not like our last adventure when I quaffed 151 Rum into the wee hours and we wound up spending the weekend in the slip, I thought is was a damn good weekend, go figure, but I digress. To end the Discussion we immediatly cast off the dock lines and began motoring to one of our favorite little harbors (Bath) to spend the night on the hook as we motored along at 2250 rpm it was getting dark so I kicked the rpm up to 3100 after about 45 min the overheat alarm rang out so we secured the engine and set sail. after tacking for about 1 1/2 hrs just to let the engine cool we dropped sail and made our way into Bath creek and made fast to the hook. I forgot to mention our nav lights failed to work, whew. So the question to this long winded explanation is why would I overheat and what would the max rpm be for this engine? I hear that 100% is OK, others state 70-80% of max rpm. Then I get all the what if explanations. ie prop pitch, STOCK, plastic bag/ dirty strainer, NOT strainer was clean. So I am totally open to some more suggestions short of a complete overhaul..

Fair Winds,

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook