SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do YOU do in a squall?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I think a lot depends on how your boat handles. I carry a 100% jib on the furler. The boat doesn't point well without a headsail. My response is in order, since it is possible I won't get all the way through the list before a squall hits.

1. Quick run through boat to shove anything in the sink that may slide or break -- turn on nav lights before going back topside and bring up inflatable PFDs for all hands -- additional life jackets are in cockpit locker
2. Hatch boards in and slide closed
3. Come up into the wind and pinch a bit (gives me more room off lee shore and makes subsequent steps easier)
4. Reef main (I have three reefs, and when overpowered get a lot of weather helm -- the main is reduced first -- all halyards are at the mast)
5. Rig inner forestay
6. Get staysail on deck, hanked onto inner forestay, and sheets run
7. Double-check for lines over the side
8. Start engine, but leave in neutral
9. Rig jacklines on deck (tethers in cockpit locker)
10. Sail the boat

If it looks like it is going to be really ugly I'll roll up the jib and get the staysail up. My thresholds for some of this may change when I get a 135 genoa this Fall. The anchor is always ready to go and I have a windlass control in the cockpit -- anchoring is an option on the Chesapeake where I sail these days. The VHF is on when I am sailing; I have a remote VHF station at the helm and usually monitor 13, 16, and 68.

I can carry the full jib in a good amount of wind and it really helps the boat to point. I can run the furling line to a secondary winch and furl in pretty high wind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook