SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
It sounds like an acceptable setup Jim. The only thing better I could suggest is the 1556 triple (3800# SWL); but it is much more expensive. I think a breaking load of 43 kts is much better for safety as you will probably have reefed down or spilled the sheets before experiencing that much wind; and you will have 6:1 with ratchet which is certainly an upgrade over your current setup. Unfortunately I don't think you can add a fine trim setup to the 57mm Carbo Triple if you ever decided to upgrade (where you probably could with the 1556). But; there are other ways to get the added purchase if you ever decided there is need for it.

I agree that double attachment points on the boom would be good also; it reduces load on each attachment and really reduces the chance of a failure. If your boom does not have internal reefing lines you might consider going to a heavy bail if you don't want to switch to double blocks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook