SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unmanageable Mainsheet
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
It sounds like an acceptable setup Jim. The only thing better I could suggest is the 1556 triple (3800# SWL); but it is much more expensive.
Yes. Using Harken's "Compu Spec," it comes up with the 1556 and 1954 if I specify mid-boom sheeting, the 2141 and 2604 if I specify 3/4 boom sheeting. Ours is actually more like 2/3. (Boom is 13' long, attachment point is about 4' from the end.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I agree that double attachment points on the boom would be good also; it reduces load on each attachment and really reduces the chance of a failure. If your boom does not have internal reefing lines you might consider going to a heavy bail if you don't want to switch to double blocks.
Going from memory: It's already got a bail that resembles the bail on those blocks. I'll have to double-check.

Edit: Wait--don't have to go from memory. One of the pictures I posted in my original post at the start of this thread shows the bail on the bottom of the boom quite clearly.

How the heck would one add a bail? I wouldn't mind going to separate single blocks on the boom and distributing the load. Boom's hollow, I know, but... how do you get the hardware to fasten anything in there all the way down there, much less tighten it down? Hire mice?

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-27-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook