SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2014 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
I have been following your excursion into the Chesapeake Rick, sounds like you had a great time.

I will have some sail on the C&D and motoring, the sail gets me better directional control and helps to dampen the effect of wakes.

Last time through the canal with the current, half throttle on my 6hp Tohatsu and 50% reefed lug sail I got from Chesapeake City to Reedy Point in just over 2 hours, without sail it would have been another 1/2 to 1 hour or more and more attention to the tiller.

Working this weekend to get a project out next week but I may just go for a 2 hr morning sail tomorrow to restore some sanity.
I am not questioning the use of a sail. I main motor in the canal. Motoring with the main makes our boat more stable and often adds to the speed like you stated. What I question is using the sail as the MAIN means of propulsion, clearly stated in the regulations it is not supposed to be.

The PP stated he was on idle, now he stubbornly equivocates that there is a fast idle and a slow idle. If the engine is engaged you are not idling. Idling the engine is a disengaged engine and is a clear violation of the regulations.

It now appears he used the wrong terms. Maybe he was running his engine at low rpm, as opposed to idle. Clearly an engine is to be used as primary propulsion in the canal according to the regs. It either is responsible for greater tha half the SOG or it isn't, that's a fact not an opinion.l if the engine is not delivering more than half SOG the vessel is in violation of the regulations.

So Rick was your engine in gear, and was it delivering over half the vessels speed or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook