SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2014 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You gear was engaged and you were breaking the regulations. You principal propulsion was your sail.

The other boats you saw I am sure were doing what most other safe sailors were just like Colin, and I do using the sail to maintain balance, be seen around the many blind corners on the canal, and use the sails to BOOST their speed a little.
My principal propulsion was the motor, which was in gear the whole time but speed was within the idle range marked on my throttle. I was completely safe and compliant with the regulations. Your accusation is incorrect.

With jib up I was averaging 6 knots, occasionally as high as 6.5, thanks in part to a favorable current. Immediately after furling the jib I dropped back to 5.4 knots at the same motor setting. Your accusation is thus proven wrong.

You seem to be obsessed with picking on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Just repeat after me...when my car is in gear..its not idling...when my boat is in gear...its not idling
Curb the attitude, pal.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speed. It's what causes it to creep ahead when sitting at a red light. If you release the brake on a level surface, the car will move ahead at about 5 knots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook