SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2014 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

[QUOTE=TakeFive;1990129]My principal propulsion was the motor, which was in gear the whole time but speed was within the idle range marked on my throttle. I was completely safe and compliant with the regulations. Your accusation is incorrect.

With jib up I was averaging 6 knots, occasionally as high as 6.5, thanks in part to a favorable current. Immediately after furling the jib I dropped back to 5.4 knots at the same motor setting. Your accusation is thus proven wrong.

You seem to be obsessed with picking on me.

Curb the attitude, pal.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speed. It's what causes it to creep ahead when sitting at a red light. If you release the brake on a level surface, the car will move ahead at about 5 knots. [QUOTE]

backstroke

I have an outboard on my dingy...It is clearly marked on the transmission lever reverse-neutral ( or idle{ no load)- forward. The manual also talks about setting the idle speed so it doesnt stall when putting into gear, and it refers to idling when it is in neutral not in gear in the instructions.

The attitude is yours- you always get when when proven wrong and BTW "pal" is patronizing
The term moving idle speed is a Rickism...created by you.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speedIncorrect
If it is in gear.by definition use of the term idle is incorrect with it as there is no such thing as idle speed or the term fast idle you also used ( cannot be ingear and have a load on it). You are using the term incoorectly and doggedly trying to hold on to it.

Idling- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_(engine)
Idling 'http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/health/engines-new-york-law/
Idling | Define Idling at Dictionary.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 07-06-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook