SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Interior Cabin Walls

8K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Freesail99 
#1 ·
Unfortunately my boat came from the 70's and the walls are lined with carpet - they aren't even shaggy so they won't attract a young Jane Fonda into my boat!

What I'd like to do is go with tongue and groove horizontal planking and then paint them a nice piano white.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this? My concerns are moisture and plank buckling and what type of wood to use.

thanks

#28 ·
John,
Beautiful details - and to anyone who appreciates the natural teak finish, it's not dark at all. Our entire boat's ceilings, casework and soles are covered with teak, with the only relief being teak battened headliners and selected countertops.

View above is of the aft cabin with ensuite head. In typical Northern European fashion though, the sink is outside of the toilet/shower compartment - under a hinged teak countertop.

#29 ·
Lancer,

Thanks, so do I . Solid bronze, through-bolted. Heavy, though.

Sailing Dog,

A PO applied that stain. I would have gone with something lighter. But our boat has an open interior, so the darker shade feels rich, and most guests comment on how large our cabin feels for a 30 footer.

True Blue,

Very nice! That's my style!!

#30 · (Edited)
My Lake Erie sailing boat buddy Dale Tanski has a new article in a recent Good Old Boat about rebuilding the ceilings in his Pearson 365. They used to be thin, cruddy little strips spaced apart on a glass panel. He redid them with solid planking of some exotic African hardwood, came out really nice for very few boat bucks. He may have not even had to spend a whole boat buck on them (I think it was about 70$ total). He is a pretty slick woodworker though, so you might need some skill to tackle that type of job and come out with a professional look.

EDIT: As stated about 15 times in the thread, thats what I get for not reading the whole thing. The guy that did the article, Dale, had his boat next to mine over the winter (or rather I moved in next to him). I kept looking at his boat and going " I know that boat from somewhere". He has been doing a series with GOB on her rebuild. I had even commissioned him to rebuild my bowsprit and samson posts, and he did a fantastic job. He is a really good guy.

#31 ·
As stated about 15 times in the thread, thats what I get for not reading the whole thing. The guy that did the article, Dale, had his boat next to mine over the winter (or rather I moved in next to him). I kept looking at his boat and going " I know that boat from somewhere". He has been doing a series with GOB on her rebuild. I had even commissioned him to rebuild my bowsprit and samson posts, and he did a fantastic job. He is a really good guy.
So when can I move in next to him ? ( g )

#33 ·
Buffalo ? no thanks I went to school in Syracuse I didn't know it could snow so much ....

Beautiful woodworking. I be afraid to mare it when anchoring ....

#36 ·
John,

Nice ceiling. I ditto the exclamation on the ports - lovely.

True,

I'm all teak everywhere as well and although it is dark there is enough light in my boat to compensate. I think what you have for planking in your picture is what I will be doing - thinner planks, easier to mold and work with.

#38 ·
On a boat, ceilings are the planking that you see on the interior of the hull. The underside if of the deck is called the overhead. "Interior cabin walls" is a lubberly way of saying the interior bulkheads and perhaps if lubberly enough might also include the ceilings.

Jeff

#41 · (Edited)
No, No, FullandBy, I think you have it wrong. They were not trying to beat you into the ground.

Rather, what the last few posts seem to be saying is that my earlier usage of "ceilings" is strictly speaking incorrect. The new definitions proferred seem to suggest that it is only the MATERIAL covering this area of the cabin that is known as "ceilings". So in our boat we have teak ceilings, but in your boat you have...not sure what to call it, maybe "carpet ceilings".

But that leaves the question of how to refer to this area of the cabin. All our boats have had "ceilings", so that is the terminolgy we've always used for that area. And it may be that with the advent of fibreglass hulls, that is the convention regardless of whether it is covered with wood trim (maybe that is what Jeff H was suggesting?). In any case, I still don't think we should call them "walls".

This is an interesting distinction that is being drawn, so I've learned something tonight. Thank you to those posters who called it to our attention.

#42 ·
hmmm interesting. So on a FG boat with no framework per se, such as ribs the ceiling terminology may not apply as it covers the framework not the inner/outer hull surface. They can't be called interior bulkheads because they don't partition anything. I agree that saying 'walls' does seem inappropriate. Maybe inner hull covering or perhaps the 'sides' to go along with the 'overhead' terminology.

cheers

#43 ·
While we're on the subject...

I have a rather challenging issue with my "ceilings" as well. The PO covered the fiberglass hull with ceramic tile. It's 12"x12" sheets of 1 inch tiles. Needless to say, keeping the grout in good order is challenging. The workmanship in the v-berth and salon is pretty good but the aft cabin is horrendous. We would like to remove it and use some type of wood strips as others have described here. However, the challenge is how to tackle this job. Anyone have any ideas? Has anybody seen this before? It was new to us.
thanks!

#44 ·
UGH.. Ceramic tile must add an awful lot of weight... how is it fastened to the fiberglass??

#45 ·
I did look at cork tiles at one time. They are used in kitchens and baths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.