SailNet Community - View Single Post - We're Sinking!
Thread: We're Sinking!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
About that RADIO !!

As a former Coast Guard small boat SAR guy with no sailing cred at all, I read this thread and wondered when anyone would talk about the RADIO and the COAST GUARD- and do you know what you would say?

Sailors have self-sufficiency in their DNA so I am not surprised the conversation stayed on the issue of stopping the leak but really, on the other end of that radio there's a bunch of bored men and women sitting around waiting for the magic words.....

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY..... WE ARE TAKING ON WATER...

It's what they live for and they are good at it.

Make that radio call first, give your postition first. No one will mind if you call back and say you got it fixed and they can stand down.

Obviously if you're way off shore and rescue is hours or days away then the first few minutes might best be spent addressing the casualty but if you're in cell phone range my FIRST move will be to pick up the mic.

Even if you get it under control there's no certainly your repair won't fail. If you are still afloat when the Coasties arrive they will loan you drop pump.

Forgive my bias but the United States Coast Guard is the single greatest bargain the taxpayer gets.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook