SailNet Community - View Single Post - We're Sinking!
Thread: We're Sinking!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I just almost witnessed a sinking last week. I was up the lake from here at Bayfield ON for a few days. I was just getting up and I see these two large men in a small (18' or so) wooden home built project boat. As I wave and wish them well I'm thinking, pretty little boat, nice cuddy cabin, hope the lake has settled down, wind is still up a bit.

I walk into town to get a coffee and on the way back I hear sirens. The coast guard (Canadian) has a big zodiac at the dock and there's an ambulance at the dock.

The dock hand at the marina says that two guys were out in a sailboat and sank it. Two fairly big guys? I ask. Yes says he adding 'they went to turn around and caught a wave over the side'. A fisherman on the peir came and told us and we called the coast guard. They came down from Goderich. Are they ok? They got some hypothermia, but they'll be ok. Too bad about their boat, it was nice.

The coasties left and a little later I went out. I saw them towing the sunken boat in with the zodiac. They don't have to do that, it was nice of them. I heard later from another boater that they got the boat out and up on it's trailer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook