SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'
View Single Post
post #78 of Old 07-09-2014
Yofy

Re: Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'

I confess I didn't read all 8 pages of posts so I apologise if I am repeating what others have said before.

We lived aboard a Catalina 27 for 9 years mostly in Ontario, Canada. One year we sailed her south to the Bahamas and back. We couldn't afford anything bigger at the time, so we went with what we had. Over all those years - from freezing temperatures for months on end to sultry heat in the Bahamas - we loved every minute.

Storage was an issue. Manny built in some galley storage behind the stove top. We kept all our dishes there. He built in a gas stove and we stored the propane tank in a cockpit locker that had a drain. We lined the hanging locker with aromatic cedar strips to avoid mildew. Most of our clothes were stored on shelves there, with only a hanger or two. Wet weather gear was hung in the head and boots were stored there on pegs. - The head in a Catalina 27 is quite big. Food was stored in lockers under the benches. Over and behind the benches Manny closed off the shelves so that we could use them for storage without things rolling off underway. Over the handing locker, we had a big shelf that we stored books on. Beside the V berth we installed netting on both sides where we could store more clothes. The pilot berth became storage too when we crossed over to the Bahamas. We loaded it with crates of fruit and vegetables... and beer

The cockpit lockers were used for storing spare parts and tools. Manny built in some sub-compartments to make storage easier.

We lived aboard in a marina on Lake Ontario when in Canada, but we anchored out lots. All the way to the Bahamas and back we anchored - we couldn't afford marinas anyhow. We did have a storage shed in our marina in Canada. It was used for Manny's boat repair business, but we did keep a box or two of off season clothes and important papers there as well.

Before we sailed south, Manny did lots of improvements to beef up the anchoring system and also rebuilt the main hatch area. (We had concerns about the huge main hatch in following seas).

Otherwise everything that smackdaddy says about the Calalina 27 is right on. She IS tough, fast and fun.
Robyn

SV Yofy
Blog: Sailing in the winds of peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome