SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the magic boat length size to be enough
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 09-30-2007
Courtney the Dancer
There are a lot of threads discussing this and it seems that they all come to about the same conclusions- 35-40' is about right for a liveaboard couple. It seems to me that it is also a matter of personal preference, some are perfectly happy and comfortable with a 35' and others need the space of a 44', or larger. There is no one single factor that determines this but rather a complex personal formula that involves the type of sailing anticipated, costs (purchase, maintenance, etc.), storage capacity, physical size and strength of the owners, and on and on.... I have concluded that taking all the factors into consideration that 38' is the minimum that I will be comfortable in and 41' is about as large as I would want to buy. This is based on decades of owning boats of different sizes, and I am only planning to live aboard from 3 to 5 months of the year. I just met a couple that had a 42' for many years and concluded that now that they are full time liveaboards that 35' is perfect, so they had a custom all aluminum cutter built and they couldn't be happier. As with most things there is no "formula" that works for everyone.

SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome