SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007

StoneAge is on a distinguished road
We live aboard. We sail as much as we can possibly sail. We were gone from the dock for about 5 weeks this summer and we try to get out at least one weekend a month through the winter. It does get cool here in the Pacific NW Gulf Islands, but we try and get out anyway. AND our boat is under construction for our world trip.

I have lived on sailboats for the past ten years and my Grampian 26 (Yes, I lived on it for 2 years and sailed it extensively for the next 3) and it was the most used boat in the marina. I went sailing every day.

Today, I am married and have 2 children in high school. They wanted to try the public system so we decided to let them. Unfortunately, that gets in the way of sailing much more than the homeschooling ever did.

Even though we are still doing a re-fit.. I insist we sail as much as we possibly can so that we get used to the boat before we are ready to head offshore. It's a BIG boat. (32 tons) and yes, sh*t happens. It does get scary. It can make for excuses. We try not to use any.

On average it takes us 1 1/2 hours to get sailing after making the decision to go, If plans are made, we are 1/2 hour from getting the sails up. Then we are ready to up anchor in 15 minutes each day after.

So we have weekends, Christmas and New Years as well as March Break before heading around Vancouver Island next summer. Hopefully we will get out for 25% of the time available. Use our boat..

Then again, when I lived in Winnipeg, I BBQ'd in February (40 below) so I'm weird anyway ;-), I do my best to use what we have for it's intended purpose, not to just be able to say "I have one of those!"

That's our bent on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook